Date: 11/16/20 10:28 am
From: G M ARCHAMBAULT <gm72125...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Really late Empid

I usually like to know at least a description of primary projection, which is pretty high on the list, before attempting an identification. Any details about that? -Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama p.s., I recall a recent Eastern vagrant Pac.-slope Flycatcher, so important to bear down on all identification features when there is an unusual Empid sighting. Nice sighting, nonetheless!
On Monday, November 16, 2020, 11:29:46 AM CST, Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...> wrote:

Totally hear you there about the “not having the camera handy.”

If it’s a vagrant, it may still be around your yard today and the next couple of days. It may be worth doing some playbacks to see if you get any responses.

Good luck!!

Sincerely,
Chris

On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:57 AM, David Guertin <dave...> wrote:

I wasn't even considering western vagrants. Adding them into the mix doesn't make things any easier!

I meant to add that I always carry my camera while birding. Well, almost always. Today I was only going out in the yard for 10 minutes, the light was poor, and I thought, why bother? Well, because you might see an Empid in November, that's why. I won't make that mistake again.

Dave G.

On 11/16/20 11:31 AM, Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes wrote:
> I’m not great with western flycatcher ID’s but there have been several vagrant western species this year throughout the East. I guess, this time of year, and this year in particular, don’t rule out rare western vagrants. :-)
>
> Any opportunity to get pictures, videos, and audio recordings (voice memo function on smart phones) in response to playbacks made to illicit call notes, will help in narrowing down species ID.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Sincerely,
> Chris T-H
>
> On Nov 16, 2020, at 11:25 AM, David Guertin <dave...><mailto:<dave...>> wrote:
>
> Well, this was a shock. I haven't seen an Empid in over two months, and yet here was one this morning in my yard in Cornwall, braving the mid-November chill. This was one extremely tardy (and probably cold and hungry) flycatcher.
>
> Here are the notes I submitted to eBird: My first impression was that of a stubby, short-tailed flycatcher that suggested Eastern Wood-Pewee, but the combination of bold white wing bars and obvious eye ring made it clearly an Empid. Constant wing-flicking and tail wagging. Gray throat, grayish sides. The prominence of the eye ring has me leaning towards Alder over Willow, but this time of year with fresh plumage, who knows? I also can't rule out Least, but the behavior seemed more Alderish. Found in the wild raspberry patch between our yard and the adjacent farm fields.
>
> I'm trying to recall if I've seen Least Flycatchers do that constant nervous wing-flicking thing, but I can't recall, and my field guides don't note that for Least.
>
> Any flycatcher gurus want to weigh in? Whatever it was, it was certainly unexpected!
>
> Dave G.
>
> --
> Chris Tessaglia-Hymes
> PO Box 488