Date: 11/16/20 8:08 am From: Joel Geier <clearwater...> Subject: [obol] Antone Christmas Bird Count is cancelled
Considering the steep upward trend in COVID-19 cases in Oregon, as well as the particular circumstances of the Antone CBC, I've decided to cancel this year's count.
This count relies on volunteers who travel long distances and may need to stay overnight in Mitchell, John Day, or Mt. Vernon. Considering the steeply rising caseload in other parts of Oregon, there's an increasing risk that one of our volunteers could inadvertently carry the virus to one of these rural communities where there are limited healthcare facilities. Particularly in the case of towns like Mitchell and Kimberly, if someone does get seriously ill it could be a long drive on icy roads for them to seek treatment.
I was really hoping we could find a way to go forward with the Antone count this year, but it just doesn't make sense in the current situation -- not even with the ideas for a "no contact" count as we were previously planning.
Let's hope for next year in Antone! Meanwhile, best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season to all. Joel