Date: 11/15/20 10:35 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: swifts
I wonder how reliable the ID of the BC Swift's as vaux is? Seems like it
would be very easy to just call a swift vaux. Decades ago I photographed a
single Swift in winter at Cedar Key on the central Gulf Coast of Florida.
It was rumored that a swift in that season is likely to be a vaux but you
certainly could not tell anything from my photograph.
Bob O'Brien Carver Oregon

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> I wonder if the smoke in Sep held any back. Seems too long ago to have had
> much effect.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Nov 15, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:
>

> Alan,
>

> Chimney Swifts do linger within their range longer than Vaux’s. Here are
> maps showing sightings in Ebird for November (all years). First is Chimney:
>

> <image004.jpg>
>

> Here is Vaux’s. The three records from north of us are all single birds
> on one date only
>
> <image003.png>
>

> With 5 birds it diminishes the chances of it being Chimneys. All
> sightings north of the SF Bay area in the West have been of single birds
> other than 4 found by an observer in his backyard near Kalispell, MT. The
> handful of North American records for Common Swift have all been single
> birds, so that would by highly unlikely.
>

> Tom

Join us on Facebook!