Date: 11/14/20 9:15 am
From: William \(Will\) Schenck via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Northern Madness II, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL +
Salisbury and Canaan — the same 3 young birders (myself, Nic Main, and
Preston Lust) as went to Riga last weekend made our way up to the northwest
corner again to see what could be found. It was Northern Madness the
Sequel!! Mt Riga was very quiet, with only one goldfinch and one finch that
we initially tentatively identified as Pine Grosbeak, but seems, with what
happened later, more likely to be White-winged Crossbill.

After extensive scouting online and discussion (thanks, Peter DeGennaro!)
we decided to hit Great Mountain Forest along Canaan Mountain Rd as our
next spot. In the spruces behind the field behind the administrative office
came a flock of 5 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, the first in the state this year
and a lifer for me! These birds called a lot and perched briefly, giving
Nic the chance to take some great pics which will be on eBird tonight.
There was also one RED CROSSBILL in the very same area which afforded great
views in the scope and recordings. Also a small flyover flock of EVENING
GROSBEAKS, many (~6) AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS, but otherwise was quiet.

My exhortation from my last email is carried over even more strongly. The
Northwest is an Eden!

See checklist with notes here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S76237660

Will Schenck