Date: 11/13/20 6:28 pm
From: Jules Evens <avocetra...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery empid
To add two cents to this interesting empid discussion: I’ve noticed (and been confused by) the eye-ring pattern shown in these photos—sort of Western-like, slightly pointed posteriorly—on Dusky Flycatchers on wintering grounds in Mexico. Also, the grayish nape contrasting with the greener back . . .
Jules Evens
Manzanita

Sent by my iPhone

>> On Nov 13, 2020, at 4:12 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:
>
> My thoughts on this, as telegraphed by my comments on the coloration of the bird, are that it is a Dusky Flycatcher for many of the reasons expressed by Craig Miller. It isn’t nearly bright enough for a Western and the bill doesn’t appear wide enough. I asked Paul Lehman for his thoughts, and here’s his reply:
> Tom,
> My immediate impression is Dusky flycatcher, based on overall shape and bill and the color of the eyering and certainly the color of the underparts and all the gray in the face and nape and the color of the wingbars. The shape of the eyering could certainly fit a Western, of course, but not much else about it strikes me as Western looking.
> Paul
>
> It would have been nice if some of us locals had been contacted to check it out and possibly get photos from different angles. At least when discussing out of season/range empids, it isn’t boring.
>
> Tom

Join us on Facebook!