Date: 11/13/20 4:12 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Mystery empid
My thoughts on this, as telegraphed by my comments on the coloration of the
bird, are that it is a Dusky Flycatcher for many of the reasons expressed by
Craig Miller. It isn't nearly bright enough for a Western and the bill
doesn't appear wide enough. I asked Paul Lehman for his thoughts, and
here's his reply:

Tom,

My immediate impression is Dusky flycatcher, based on overall shape and bill
and the color of the eyering and certainly the color of the underparts and
all the gray in the face and nape and the color of the wingbars. The shape
of the eyering could certainly fit a Western, of course, but not much else
about it strikes me as Western looking.

Paul

It would have been nice if some of us locals had been contacted to check it
out and possibly get photos from different angles. At least when discussing
out of season/range empids, it isn't boring.

Tom

Join us on Facebook!