Date: 11/12/20 11:20 pm
From: Leith McKenzie <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender loinneilceol for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] An interesting Empid at Hatfield Lake on November 10
The tail is too short for Dusky. The primaries are too short for Hammond's. The bill is too wide for both Dusky and Hammond's. The eye ring is right for Western. The bill is right for Western. But not the Western Fly that is abundant in Oregon. I have seen Cordilleran at Fields and I think that is right. Having said that I personally would not count it as a separate species. The Cordilleran at Fields was identified by voice. But don't take my word for it. Google Cordilleran images for yourself. Maitreya

“Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of freedom.”

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

All,

While birding Hatfield Lake a couple of days ago I encountered an interesting empid. I have been on the road, just returned home today and downloaded some digi-scoped photos

of the bird and entered the trip list into ebird. I have yet to work out the I.D. and would welcome any comments or suggestions. Could lead to some interesting discussion and a chance to learn. Photos and notes can be found here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S7...

Bill Shelmerdine

Olympia WA
*******
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>