Date: 11/12/20 7:26 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: An interesting Empid at Hatfield Lake on November 10
Agree it is Hammond’s or Dusky. The shape is more Hammond’s, with a big grayish head. In a couple of pics there is a sort of foofy crest, which I associate with Hammond's. The bill does look a bit large and the primary extension not very long, but I’m not sure how variable these are.

I’m not sure what molt timing tells us here. This appears to be a first-year bird (very obvious yellow gape) and seems to still have some of the fluffier feathers that young birds have, e.g. the loose feathers covering the lesser coverts in a couple of pics. However, I could be seeing things, as the whole bird is fluffed.

I often get empids wrong, but there’s my ten cents.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 7:09 PM, Craig Miller <gismiller...> wrote:
>
> Thank you Bill for sharing these excellent photos of a very late Empid.
>
> I am better at ruling species out than identifying with certainty.
>
> It is not a:
>
> Willow or Alder Flycatcher - the eye ring is too pronounced
> Hammond's Flycatcher - the bill is too large, and primary extensions too short I think
> Gray Flycatcher - too colorful and not lanky enough
> Acadian Flycatcher - breast is not pale enough, lower bill tip is dark, not pale, eye ring is not thin and complete
> Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - insufficient black secondary margin, eye ring is not thin enough
>
> That leaves Dusky Flycatcher and Western-type Flycatcher. If the bill was relatively narrow as you observed, that would rule out Western-type Flycatcher and leave Dusky.
>
> I don't see any features that distinctly rule out Dusky Flycatcher, so that is what I am left with.
>
> It will be interesting to see the opinions of others. Am I missing something?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Craig Miller
> Bend, OR
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM bill shelmerdine <georn1...> <mailto:<georn1...>> wrote:
> All,
> While birding Hatfield Lake a couple of days ago I encountered an interesting empid. I have been on the road, just returned home today and downloaded some digi-scoped photos of the bird and entered the trip list into ebird. I have yet to work out the I.D. and would welcome any comments or suggestions. Could lead to some interesting discussion and a chance to learn. Photos and notes can be found here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S76175560 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S76175560>
> Bill Shelmerdine
> Olympia WA

Join us on Facebook!