Date: 11/12/20 7:11 pm
From: Craig Miller <gismiller...>
Subject: [obol] Re: An interesting Empid at Hatfield Lake on November 10
Thank you Bill for sharing these excellent photos of a very late Empid.

I am better at ruling species out than identifying with certainty.

It is not a:

Willow or Alder Flycatcher - the eye ring is too pronounced
Hammond's Flycatcher - the bill is too large, and primary extensions too
short I think
Gray Flycatcher - too colorful and not lanky enough
Acadian Flycatcher - breast is not pale enough, lower bill tip is dark, not
pale, eye ring is not thin and complete
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - insufficient black secondary margin, eye ring
is not thin enough

That leaves Dusky Flycatcher and Western-type Flycatcher. If the bill was
relatively narrow as you observed, that would rule out Western-type
Flycatcher and leave Dusky.

I don't see any features that distinctly rule out Dusky Flycatcher, so that
is what I am left with.

It will be interesting to see the opinions of others. Am I missing
something?

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, OR

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM bill shelmerdine <georn1...> wrote:

> All,
> While birding Hatfield Lake a couple of days ago I encountered an
> interesting empid. I have been on the road, just returned home today and
> downloaded some digi-scoped photos of the bird and entered the trip list
> into ebird. I have yet to work out the I.D. and would welcome any comments
> or suggestions. Could lead to some interesting discussion and a chance to
> learn. Photos and notes can be found here:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S76175560
> Bill Shelmerdine
> Olympia WA

Join us on Facebook!