Date: 11/12/20 6:06 pm
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Oregon CBCS: Time to re-evaluate
Greetings, everybody!

November 15th is coming up in just a few days. This is a key date for compilers to re-evaluate whether Christmas Bird Counts should go ahead or not, in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic.

At this point the COVID situation is looking much worse than I expected, just a few months ago. Both nationally and here in Oregon, new cases are increasing almost exponentially (see attached graph), with no sign of a crest. I previously scheduled one of the CBCs that I compiled (Antone) but now I'm leaning toward cancelling that, if we don't see at least some leveling off of this trend, in the next few days.

For compilers, it's up to each of you to make your own call, based on the specific circumstances for your count. But I'd like to encourage each of you to re-evaluate the situation, in view of the current trend.

All the best,
Joel

--
Joel Geier