Date: 11/12/20 11:51 am
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Ring-necked Ducks?
The first pic (0587) appears to show a Scaup species female alongside a
male Ring-necked duck. All the other images seem good for male RNDUs.

Jim S

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 2:23 PM Steve Long <steve.long4...> wrote:
The winter ducks finally arrived in our cove several days ago. Mostly
Ruddy Ducks with some Buffleheads among them, and then some Scaup.
Then, yesterday morning, I noticed some of those "Scaups" had lot of
white on their bills and darker backs. So, I pulled out the 60x scope
and they looked to me like Ring-necked Ducks, EXCEPT for the head shape
shown in Sibley's drawings.

They stayed toward the other shore of the cove, about 400' away
The Scaups and Ring-necked-maybes were mixing together, yesterday, but,
this morning they seemed to have separated, with the Scaups coming right
over to my side, while the ones I was really hoping to see better stayed
over on the other side (of course). But, they were acting like
different groups, today.

Steve Long, near Oxford