Date: 11/12/20 11:50 am
From: Doug & Nina Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Good birding Saylorville & Big Creek
I took my weekly swing trip down to Saylorville & Big Creek Lakes this
morning, managing to get a list of 56 species. Some of the good
observations included a flock of *Snow Geese *(headed down river near
Madrid); 6 *Horned Grebes, *1* Red-necked Grebe* and at least 37 *Bonaparte's
Gulls* at Big Creek; more than 40 *Common Loons on Saylorville Lake;
*a *Rough-legged
Hawk* west of Luther; and a mixed flock of *Purple Finches* and *Cedar
Waxwings* all feeding on a crab apple tree along the road at Jester Park.

There were at least 15 species of ducks in good-sized flocks on
Saylorville, but 90% were sleeping with heads tucked, at a long distance
out and in poor light, so there might have been several more than what I
managed to ID.

Doug Harr
Ogden