Date: 11/12/20 11:23 am
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Ring-necked Ducks?
The winter ducks finally arrived in our cove several days ago. Mostly
Ruddy Ducks with some Buffleheads among them, and then some Scaup.
Then, yesterday morning, I noticed some of those "Scaups" had  lot of
white on their bills and darker backs.  So, I pulled out the 60x scope
and they looked to me like Ring-necked Ducks, EXCEPT for the head shape
shown in Sibley's drawings.

They stayed toward  the other shore of the cove, about 400' away.  After
trying to digiscope them at 60x, I gave up and pulled out my camera and
longest telephoto and put a 2x teleconverter on it, which gives me
something like the equivalent of 35x, but loses autofocus.  Plus, I
needed to go outside to get off the shaky floor and past the dirty
window glass, so I could only try to get pics until the rain started.  I
have cropped and attached a few shots to see what others think for the
identification.

The Scaups and Ring-necked-maybes were mixing together, yesterday, but,
this morning they seemed to have separated, with the Scaups coming right
over to my side, while the ones I was really hoping to see better stayed
over on the other side (of course).  But, they were acting like
different groups, today.

Steve Long, near Oxford