Date: 11/12/20 7:08 am
From: Alicia Plotkin <tess...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] LOON MIGRATION ALERT
East side of Seneca Lake in Ovid, was out from 7:30-7:40 and 7:50-8:45
(maybe too late).  Saw the following:

7:30-7:40: 0
7:50-8:00: 5 in single group, a tad lower than expected but still
migration height - moving very fast with the wind, a couple hundred
yards inland of the shore
8:00-8:15: 1, same height/speed/track as the first 5
8:15-8:30: 1, very very high up, over center of lake, beating its wings
hard & moving south to north - wouldn't have seen it with naked eye but
was bored so looking at one of the resident eagles soaring high up & the
loon crossed behind it as small blurry bird so focused on it & could
make out characteristic torpedo shape & flight style
8:30-8:45: 0

Have been small numbers of loons on the lake here for the past week but
none this morning when I got out.

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/