Date: 11/11/20 5:02 am
From: Duane Nelson <dnelson1...>
Subject: [cobirds] Roger Linfield
Birders,

My heart is heavy at the passing of Roger, one of my best friends. He
was simply one of the most remarkable people I ever met. We first met at
my house in Las Animas, CO in January of 2003, where I offered to take
him see an Eastern Towhee coming to seed in a remote Bent County Canyon.
He saw a dog-eared copy of Garratt and Martin's /Colorado Thirteeners
/guide, leafed through it, and immediately offered to hike up the three
hardest peaks I had remaining on my quest to finish climbing the
Centennial (highest hundred) peaks in Colorado. The next summer, we
climbed Dallas, Teakettle and Jagged Mountains.

I'm attaching a few pictures of Roger in his element, in order to show
people another side to this giving, humble, and accomplished man. I last
saw Roger in late January at an annual Climber's Gathering in Golden.
One week later, he was diagnosed with cancer. Throughout his ordeal, he
constantly updated me on his status, talked with me, and made plans for
his return to climbing when he recovered.

Rest in peace, friend.

Duane Nelson, Las Animas, CO