Date: 11/10/20 8:55 am
From: Larry Modesitt <larry.corvid...>
Subject: [cobirds] Roger Linfield

Colorado has lost a great one, as Roger Linfield yesterday lost an
eight-month battle to cancer. He rose to the top (literally and
figuratively) in many fields. Birders and Peak-baggers know him as the
seventh person in the Fourteener/400 Club, reached after he climbed all of
the 14,000’ peaks and saw 400 birds in Colorado. His name sits at the top
of listers for such varied counties as Phillips and Clear Creek. Prior to
peak-bagging, he was one of the nation’s top rock climbers, and he was a
valued leader for the Colorado Mountain Club. After all of those exploits,
Roger became interested kayaking. Many of these activities were shared with
his wife, Brenda, who was a key board member of Colorado Field
Ornithologists and joined Roger in the Fourteener/400 Club. For NASA’s
Joint Propulsion Laboratory, then later at Ball Aerospace that brought him
to Colorado, he was Dr. Roger Linfield, a celebrated astronomer. Roger led
many of us on a remarkable trail of accomplishment, togetherness, and
inspiration. I cherish the times we spent together, and I value what he
taught me. He will be missed greatly—by many.

Larry Modesitt

Arvada