Date: 11/10/20 8:21 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Snowy Owl - Kent Co.
The MD eBird Review Team has hidden all Snowy Owl submissions as Sensitive Species because of the pressure being put on this bird. The cat's out of the bag but a search for Snowy Owl will show nothing unless new reports come in and aren't hidden by reviewers. If you do go and see the bird, please do the reviewers a favor and hide your checklist.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 10:55:50 AM EST, 'Marcy Stutzman' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

View eBird Rare Bird Alerts for MarylandFind Snowy OwlClick on the address for a checklist to see a map, look at the satellite view to see to see the lay of the land
Remember that birds have wings and they use them!

Marcy StutzmanRussett, MD 20724
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 10:13:14 AM UTC-5 Dave Powell wrote:

Noah,
The Snowy Owl has been seen today, but it is also moving around to different locations in the same general area. Yesterday, the Snowy Owl was in a solar panel area and not very close to the road. While visible, it was not in a great location for photos. If you go, look for others and hopefully it will be in an area where you can park safely.
Good Luck,Dave Powell
On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 9:53 AM Noah Comet <noah......> wrote:

For those of not on Facebook (where I'm guessing much of this information has already been disseminated?), would anyone be willing to share a few more details with this email list: specifically, a picture or two and some information on what the scene is like: is it easy to view/park without interrupting the lives of the people in the local area?  Guidance on where to park?  Or is this an owl, based on its general location and the lives of the locals, better left un-broadcasted?  I may want to take my 8-year-old son to see it, but I don't want to contribute to a chaotic scene if one is forming, especially amidst a pandemic...
Thanks in any case!
On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 9:23 AM Bob Ringler <ringl......> wrote:

   After an unsuccessful attempt to see the Snowy Owl in Kent County yesterday afternoon I returned at dusk hoping it would appear then. When I arrived other birders pointed it out to me in a field where it was perched on the ground. After watching it for several minutes two harriers arrived on the scene and began loudly diving on it. The owl would duck or fly a short distance to avoid each attack. The harriers left after sunset with the owl remaining perched on the ground. This Snowy Owl is one of the most heavily marked that I have ever seen.

--
Bob RinglerSymphony VillageCentreville MD

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/CAMKFwKRjnc_XO%<3D0JGg7uhPJoy4WipcYfaWdtFcbvTD_oZsO5Cg...>