Date: 11/10/20 4:25 am
From: Peggy Faucher <p_faucher...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Snow Goose encounter
Hi Dave,
What a thrilling encounter! It’s amazing that your goose has been making the journey for 7 years. We had a similar experience with Snow Geese in March 2018 in Essex, NY. The geese were northbound and we too spotted a banded individual who like your bird was banded on Bylot Island.

Having visited Bylot in June 2016, we were so impressed by the amazing migratory feats of these birds that we wrote a post about it on our blog:

https://mrfaucher.blogspot.com/search?q=Snow+goose

There is also a link to a post about our visit to Bylot Island so you can get a feel for where these birds spend the summer breeding in the high Arctic.

We’re happy that you and others got to experience the thrill of the Snow Goose migration right here in Vermont!
Happy Birding,
Peggy and Marc Faucher

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 9, 2020, at 11:29 PM, David Guertin <dave...> wrote:

On Sunday morning I was at the Dead Creek goose viewing area before dawn, which was entirely devoid of birds save for a lone raven croaking from a tree. But as the sun rose I was privileged to witness a massive flight of Snow Geese as they flew up from the creek to the fields, circling for several minutes before landing in the field in front of us. The cacophony of what I estimated to be 1800 geese was deafening and thrilling.

Fortunately for those of us standing on the road, the geese settled down right up close to the fence, where we had great views of their behavior, standing around, feeding, walking, honking, and doing various goosey things. One of my goals for the morning was to find a Ross's Goose, so I carefully scanned the enormous white haystack for a slightly smaller and shorter-billed needle (which I found!), during which I came across a Snow Goose with a numbered neck band. I reported the band number to the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, and just received a reply that my Addison County goose is a female, banded on August 12, 2013 on the South Plain of Bylot Island, Nunavut. (Of course I looked it up on a map; it's off the north coast of Baffin island.)

It's no news that Snow Geese nest in the arctic, but seeing the pinpointed location for this particular goose somehow makes it more vivid, and I can just picture this goose settling on her nest across the bay from Greenland, year after year, and then making the long journey to the southern U.S. coast, stopping by our little state to fuel up. It's something to remind myself if I ever find myself getting blasé about just another migrating goose.

Dave G.

Join us on Facebook!