Date: 11/9/20 7:27 pm
From: Barry Blust <barryblust...>
Subject: Re: binocular repair
Jerry,
Sorry to hear about your Zeiss experience.
After hearing about that I just had to mention that this summer I had just the opposite experience with Zeiss. A pair of binoculars that I had purchased 34 years ago was still working very well but had plenty of wear and tear. Since they had a lifetime warranty I decided to send them to Zeiss for cleaning & servicing. They told me they would let me know what needed to be done and how much it would cost. Two days after they received them they contacted me to tell me they would be replacing them with a new pair, free of charge. This new pair was comparable to but somewhat better than the ones they replaced. I was extremely happy with Zeiss’ support.

Barry E. Blust
(from iPad)
Glenmoore, PA
Chester County

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

-- John Muir

> On Nov 9, 2020, at 4:01 PM, jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>  Denise,
> With the exception of ZEISS, most binocular companies will stand behind their product and give better quality service for the best price. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer and give them an outline of the defect and see what they have to say?
> I have a pair of SWAROSKI 8.5 x 42, which, last spring, I carelessly, let slide off the dashboard of our car and knocked out the right side focus while we were in Costa Rica. The company rep, Alex, LENT me a pair, since all mail and post flights were curtailed due to virus. When I got home recently, Swarovski repaired them under warranty, although the fault was mine, and express mailed them so I will have them in time to depart for Cape May soon; all without costing a penny.
> My wife's LEICA 8 x 42 had a similar problem. Leica had a problem getting parts so gave her a new pair.
> Now those are class acts from class companies.
> Contrasting -- my ZEISS binoculars were in their case, in the closet, and the focus wheel froze; without any trauma, bounce, salt water, heat, cold, etc. The company refuses to address the problem, citing "fungi contamination," and offered $100 off a new pair! I replied there wasn't anything extraterrestrial or lethal, nor nothing amiss on my part?
>
> They have stonewalled.
> I will be suing them.
> My conclusion -- buy the best instrument your budget will suit, but take great care on how the company treats you AFTER you fork over your hard earned dollars. These are not ming vases in museums, but technical instruments that get a lot of trial in the field. Service, just like for your car is a very important element in the long run. So go back to the manufacturer.
>
> My 4c
>
> Regards,
> jk

Join us on Facebook!