Date: 11/9/20 1:30 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Polk county raptors
Nolan,

I got to Livermore about 12:30. There were many birders and cars looking for the Gyr. I saw a bird on that tall fir near Perrydale and scoped it. Then it flew (red-tail) south to a utility pole in the field near a rockpile, approx. here (45.030237,-123.256723) The pole had 2 transformers and I suspect it powers an irrigation pump. Lars and I saw exchanges there between the red-tail and a possible falcon that went down out of sight.

A little before 1 PM I looked at the tall fir again and became convinced that the gyr was there. Several cars then drove over to Perrydale Rd, but by the time we got there we found a red-tail on the tree. We saw your post on MIdValley Whatsapp, but we weren’t sure where you were and we didn’t see any falcon. Eventually everyone drifted back to Livermore.

I made a side trip to West Perrydale and saw the prairie falcon at the grove with the grain elevator.

I’m pretty sure the Gyr will remain in the area for the winter. It has a ready supply of prey.

Good birding,

Paul