Date: 11/9/20 12:37 pm
From: Nolan Clements <nolanclements...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Polk county raptors
Hi Paul and others,

After missing the Gyr around noon at the Livermore Rd. spot yesterday, I
circled west to Enterprise Rd. where it was seen on Saturday. I had no luck
there so I went back to Livermore for one more look before I headed back to
Corvallis. As I was driving south, four or five cars drove north past me --
presumably the group that went to Perrydale Rd. I pulled up to the
Livermore Rd. spot where there were still two cars. I got out and someone
informed me that most people went to Perydale to get a better angle at a
suspect bird on top of distance firs to the northwest. I put my scope on
the bird and as soon as I got on it, the bird was pushed off by a
Red-tailed Hawk. I immediately recognized the bird as a large falcon. The
bird circled for 30 or so seconds and allowed me and two others to get
decent looks, despite the distance, at a huge falcon, the same size as the
Red-tails, with broad, falcon-shaped wings. I called it out as the Gyr. We
all took our eyes off the bird at the same time and it was never seen
again. I looked back to the firs and a Red-tail was in the same spot as the
Gyr had been.

I suspect the bird is still in the area or near Baskett Slough NWR hunting
Cackling Geese. Hopefully it provides more opportunities for others to get
on it.

Cheers and good birding,
Nolan Clements
Corvallis, OR

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 9:15 PM Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
wrote:

> I tried to refind the Gryfalcon in Polk county this afternoon. I came in
> past Ballston, down De Jong Rd to West Perrydale, then joined the crowd at
> Livermore about 12:45. Several cars went over to Perrydale Rd south of the
> village of Perrydale. NO LUCK. The bird at the top of a tall fir that we
> thought was the gry turned out to be a Red-tail. Others said they saw the
> Gry about 1 PM, but many of us didn’t find it. Some of the location
> information on the MidValley Whatsapp group was confusing.
>

> I went back to the original grove on West Perrydale, a mile west of Tucker
> Rd. and found a PRAIRIE FALCON.
>

> On my way home on Hwy 99W, just south of the Yamhill county line, there is
> a brown stubble field on the west side of the highway. I saw 19 Red-tails
> and 1 Rough-leg hunting that single field.
>

> Paul Sullivan
>
> McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!