Date: 11/9/20 7:06 am
From: 'jovet' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Snowy Owl - Kent Co.
Noah,
From what I have seen on FB - from  MD Birding and MD Notable Bird Sightings and Discussions group - the location of the Snowy Owl has been guarded pretty well.   There are a few photos.  Two photographers got the bird in the open, while the owl has been hidden in other photos, giving ID photo but little more.   There is more information on this list and ebird than on FB.   No details about parking that I've seen.  Since the location is known, expect to have a lot of people there.   It's one of the birds that draws incredible attention, and in the past, some people have been willing to harass this species pretty profoundly in order to view/get photos.  (and I'm not necessarily dissing pro photographers - I've seen people with cell phones harassing an owl relentlessly to try to get close enough to get a shot - although I've also seen "pros" with giant lenses push the birds).  I'm trying to encourage everyone who seeks owl to do so GENTLY - please be respectful of the bird as well as the fields and home/farm owners.   And to also request that each ethical birder encourage all others, especially new birders, speak up this season (which may bring us more Snowies) to educate others on the ethics of birding.
Good luck to you and your son.
Best
Joanne

Joanne Howl, DVMWest River, MD

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah Comet <noahcomet...>
To: Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Sent: Mon, Nov 9, 2020 9:52 am

For those of not on Facebook (where I'm guessing much of this information has already been disseminated?), would anyone be willing to share a few more details with this email list: specifically, a picture or two and some information on what the scene is like: is it easy to view/park without interrupting the lives of the people in the local area?  Guidance on where to park?  Or is this an owl, based on its general location and the lives of the locals, better left un-broadcasted?  I may want to take my 8-year-old son to see it, but I don't want to contribute to a chaotic scene if one is forming, especially amidst a pandemic...
Thanks in any case!
On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 9:23 AM Bob Ringler <ringler.bob...> wrote:

   After an unsuccessful attempt to see the Snowy Owl in Kent County yesterday afternoon I returned at dusk hoping it would appear then. When I arrived other birders pointed it out to me in a field where it was perched on the ground. After watching it for several minutes two harriers arrived on the scene and began loudly diving on it. The owl would duck or fly a short distance to avoid each attack. The harriers left after sunset with the owl remaining perched on the ground. This Snowy Owl is one of the most heavily marked that I have ever seen.

--
Bob RinglerSymphony VillageCentreville MD--