Date: 11/8/20 7:50 pm
From: Kathleen Krall <krallfamily...>
Subject: [obol] Dark hawks in Tillamook-Harlan’s and Rough-legged-or Ferruginous?
Mike and I took advantage of the sunshine to run the Tillamook East raptor route today.

We found two very interesting dark morph buteos. On Olsen Rd, a dark morph bird with prominent yellow gape and feathered tarsi had us pouring over “The Crossley Guide.“ Could the prominent gape indicate a Ferruginous Hawk? We are interested in what others might think. Tentatively we called it a Rough-legged Hawk.
See https://ebird.org/checklist/S76027833

On Wilson River Loop Rd, we photographed the dark morph Harlan’s found by Nick Mrvelj yesterday.
See https://ebird.org/checklist/S76027725

Other raptors:
Red-tailed Hawk 42
American Kestrel 15
Northern Harrier 15
Rough-legged Hawk 2
White-tailed Kite 7

We traveled 55 miles in about 4.5 hours.
Kathy and Mike Krall

Join us on Facebook!