Date: 11/8/20 5:20 pm
From: Julie <jg441157j5x...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Black Scoter at Rathbun Lake, Appanoose County
I-Birders,
Yesterday I went to Rathbun Lake to see if I could find the Black Scoter previously reported. I could not find it, nor the Western Grebes. However I was able to find the Black-bellied Plovers, only 3 of them.
After Tom Johnson reported the Scoter still at the dam this morning, I decided to try again, after I got done canning the pears. I got there around 3:15 and couldn’t see the Scoter. I drove across the dam and back, then back again. I called Tom to ask where to look, and he was kind enough to drop whatever he was doing to come help me find it. Since he knew where to look, we spotted it right away. I even got some photos.
In addition to the Scoter, we found the 2 Western Grebes, 16 Common Mergansers, 1 Pelican, maybe 100 Canada Geese, many gulls, 75 or so Red-winged Blackbirds, 6 Juncos, 1 Green-winged Teal, 1 Common Goldeneye, 1 Blue Jay, 3 Bald Eagles, 1 Pied-billed Grebe. Yesterday among the many Ring-billed Gullse, I found 4 Franklin’s Gulls. I did not see them today.
Many thanks to TJ for being my expert guide for the day. I think the Scoter was diving when I was looking for it before Tom arrived. Or, maybe his eyes are better!
In addition to a beautiful weather day, it was a pretty good birding day too!
Julie Johnston, Packwood

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Julie Johnston
Packwood, Iowa