Date: 11/8/20 1:10 pm
From: zellene via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] plants for birds
I have both bird and pollinator gardens. You have a nice choice of plants, but I would recommend planting more evergreens as shelter for birds and wildlife. I have yews that came with the house. The yews have berries in fall as well. The birds often use them after grabbing a seed from my feeder. I also have hemlocks but unless you want to let them become trees, I wouldn't recommend them as shrubs. I don't know why folks plant hemlocks as foundation plantings when they are meant to be trees! And don't forget a water source, even in winter. You can find heated birdbaths.

Pollinator plants attract insects which attract birds. I recommend reading Doug Tallamy's book, Bringing Nature Home, for a comprehensive study of what to plant and why. He also has a new book, Nature's Best Hope. Both are really excellent.

Zellene
Bloomfield