Date: 11/8/20 10:58 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Bays Branch Black-bellied Plover
Hey I-Birders,

A visit to Bays Branch WMA (Guthrie Co.) had some unexpected finds of
the shorebird type. First we spent some time scoping the hundreds of
waterfowl from the bluff at the south end. A good variety of species was
present, including a couple dozen WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and at least four
CACKLING GEESE. A whitish NORTHERN SHOVELER seen and reported by others in
recent days was present as well.

Afterwards we headed to the crossover of the slough just to the north
at 190th Ave. We parked on the east end in the hunters' lot and began
scoping. Ducks were largely absent here, but we were excited to find
shorebirds in the shallows south of the crossing, most notably a juvenile
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER which we had fantastic scope looks of, despite the
wind. Others present included a few DOWITCHERS and DUNLIN, a pair of
GREATER YELLOWLEGS and singles of LESSER YELLOWLEGS, PECTORAL SANDPIPER,
and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. A nice morning to be out, despite the windy
conditions.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines