Date: 11/8/20 5:32 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fungal infection strikes geese in Willamette Valley: Report bird die-offs to ODFW
Hi -

I hope the press release is right about low transmission risk. I am concerned because many micro-organisms, and some fungi, are commonly benign, but have pathogenic strains. Most of us have Staphylococcus aureus living on our skin without ill effects, but some genetic variants are quite dangerous (flesh-eating bacteria anyone?). It is true that the CDC reports " Most people breathe in aspergillus spores every day without getting sick. " I suspect most Cackling Geese regularly breathe in Aspergillus spores without getting sick. Therefore I think it is very likely that the Aspergillus that is killing Cackling Geese is not the same Aspergillus, instead a more pathogenic variant. It is also very likely that it is being spread from goose to goose, either aerially or from cross-contamination from fecal material. I wonder whether infected geese cough?

So I would recommend cleaning up more carefully than usual if you happen to step in goose droppings, and not leaving same on boots or other outerwear, as spores might be released to the air when it dries. Also take extra precautions when handling wild birds (e.g. taking to rehab facilities or when hunting, or even banding). This would mean gloves and even facemasks might be in order.

Wayne