Date: 11/7/20 8:47 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (07 Nov 2020) 38 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 07, 2020

Black Vulture 8 30 234
Turkey Vulture 7 53 661
Osprey 0 0 191
Bald Eagle 1 36 386
Northern Harrier 0 9 67
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 40 2297
Cooper's Hawk 2 8 225
Northern Goshawk 0 2 7
Red-shouldered Hawk 8 37 107
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 3856
Red-tailed Hawk 4 268 920
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 3 37 45
American Kestrel 0 0 171
Merlin 0 1 68
Peregrine Falcon 0 3 51
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 5 20 193

Total: 38 544 9479

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 15:45:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Ed Wanamaker, Mike Duda

Visitors:
An outstanding extended family came to the North lookout today, ready for
migration action. Such a pleasure to meet Paula and Vlad from Sugarloaf,
Pa, and Mike Duda and his daughter Zaryana from Lehighton, Pa. Mike is a
modest man but I believe I heard he is a direct descendant of a Polish
King.

Weather:
Mostly sunny yet hazy, with a low temperature of 51F at 0730, and a high
temperature of 64F at 1300. The strongest winds of the day were in the
morning at 4-7 mph generally from the WNW, with decreasing Westerly winds
throughout the day to 0-2 mph at the end of the count.

Raptor Observations:
There were zero raptors in the air for the first 3 and a half hours of the
count, then just two immature Red Shouldered hawks by noon. With WNW winds
early in the morning, the place to count was logically from the North
lookout. In the afternoon as the winds shifted to light West winds,
observation was very challenging as the heat of the day had the raptors
very high in a cloudless blue sky and flying over the South lookout. The
few eagles counted were only seen because they happened to be in kettles of
Black and Turkey vultures, or the Golden Eagle that was being chased by a
loud crow otherwise I may not have seen any eagles. Did we miss some
raptors? I don't think so, I think we missed a lot.

We had two very high Adult Bald Eagles flying from West to East that were
heard before being seen, almost as if they were arguing back and forth.
Their squawking then made sense when they intercepted a third Adult Bald
Eagle which eventually flew Southwest and was counted. The 'arguing' Bald
Eagle pair later returned, high over the bowl, locking talons, so I guess
they made up but again they flew East high over peak #1 and were not
counted a second time!

Golden Eagles (3): 1233 (Juvenile), 1233 (Juvenile), 1526 (Adult)

Bald Eagle (1): 1420 (Adult)

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots a black capped chickadees, American Robins eating berries, and four
Ravens. 'No see ups' hatched again, this is November, correct?

Predictions:
Sunny, with near record high temperature of 74F. SW winds light and
variable.
Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!