Date: 11/7/20 7:11 pm
From: Donna Stumpp <donna.stumpp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Standley Lake (Jeffco) - A study in loons and a couple RNGR
What a treat today - four Common Loons and two Red-necked Grebes were
feeding on the far edge of the weed beds about 75'-150' off the south shore
(about midway east/west), allowing for close-up views and photos. There
have been a variety of loons recently at Standley Lake, providing a great
opportunity to study and compare them. We've had Common Loons, a Pacific
Loon, and a Red-throated Loon.

I was introduced to birding about 18 months ago, but this is my first fall
of serious birding. It turns out, there is a lot of variety in the coloring
of Common Loons, as many of you know. I'm not sure if this always happens,
but I seem to see the loons not just alone, but sometimes in pairs or even
threesomes. It's been tremendously valuable to see several loons all on one
outing so I can compare the coloring differences, as well as bill shape and
size, and head shape. Earlier in the week, another birder and I saw six
loons swimming in a line toward the dam!

The loons have generally been in the middle of the lake about midway
east/west when I've seen them (I've been out 5 of the past 7 days since I
live nearby and wanted to study them), although yesterday I had a common
just past the weed beds like today, but on the north shore midway
east-west.

If you're interested in coming out, there are free parking lots on both the
north and south shores, just know they lock the gates at sunset.

[image: DSTU0778 - earlier COLOs together.JPG]
Donna Stumpp
Westminster, CO