Date: 11/6/20 9:11 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [Tweeters] Camera/binocular harness
Hi Richard,

I have the same dilemma, and haven’t really found a perfect solution. I usually carry a big and heavy Canon lens with extenders, for which none of the solutions suggested so far is suitable due to the heavy weight of camera+lens.

So, the answer really depends on what camera you’re carrying around with you. If it’s a relatively small/light camera+lens combo, then some of the suggested solutions might work. If it’s a long/heavy combo, then none of the dual-strap systems are rated for that kind of weight, or if they are rated for it, then it’s not very convenient or comfortable to have highly unbalanced weights on your sides. Another potential issue is that you would usually want to have the binoculars centered on your chest for easy use. The dual strap systems that I’ve seen basically put the two cameras/bins to the side, which is not an optimal position for carrying binoculars. I’ll be happy to be corrected if folks have found a dual-strap system that works for heavy/long lenses + bins.

What I’ve found to work for me is a regular bin strap - I prefer something that actually allows me to also strap the bins down so that they don’t swing around when I’m kneeling or otherwise doing strange acrobatics to get a photo. I use the S4 Gear Lockdown straps for my bins.  Then for the camera I use a long shoulder/neck strap for the camera+lens and carry it diagonally. This gives me enough play on the bin straps to be able to use the bins without issues.

Good luck!

Nagi