Date: 11/5/20 10:21 pm
From: 'corvidcolo' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Surf Scoter, Wellington Lake - Jeffco
This afternoon I found two female Surf Scoters on Wellington Lake outside of Bailey and in Pike National Forest. First record I know of for Wellington. The report with photos are on eBird,
CHECKLIST S75884234.

Wellington Lake - the water level is quite low this fall. Today 100% blue skies, still air (lake surface "smooth as glass"), no ice yet, 63 degrees F.

Wellington Lake is 160+ acres at 8,000 feet elevation in Jefferson County in Colorado's Front Range. It is just about 15 air miles over the mountains from Colorado's South Park which attracts loons, waterfowl including scoters, and other migrants each fall. For some years I have theorized that Wellington is large enough that it should occasionally attract loons and scoters. I am happy to say that I have found Common Loons on Wellington twice in migration, and now have found my first scoters!

Chris Blakeslee
Centennial, Colorado
<CorvidColo...> <mailto:<CorvidColo...>