Date: 11/5/20 4:40 pm
From: Doug & Nina Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Redpoll & late shorebirds in Story & Boone counties
I checked Tedesco Environmental Ed. Learning Center at Ames this morning
and saw one *Common Redpoll *with a flock of goldfinches & House Finches.
There might have been more redpolls, but before I could scan the entire
mixed flock, a *Cooper's Hawk *flew over and exploded the finch flock
completely out of sight.

Then I went north to check out Little Wall Lake and Anderson Lake (AKA
Goose Lake) at Jewell where I found 12 species of ducks. Next, I
returned home via Bjorkoboda Marsh and nearby wetlands. At private land
McHugh Marsh I saw 5 *Willets *(a near record late date???), and at a
nearby CWRP wetland there were 3 *Wilson's Snipe* and 4 *Dowitchers *(probably
*Long-billed*, but hard to be sure at a long distance). In my 3 1/2 hour
drive I managed to find 44 species--not bad for a beautiful warm and quiet
morning with mirror-like lakes!

Doug Harr
Ogden