Date: 11/5/20 4:14 pm
From: Kai Weatherman <dainichi...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Close encounter of the kinglet kind in Johnson County
Seeking solitude and quiet at Hanging Rock Ridge (HWA) this afternoon, I enjoyed the long walk out and back, surprised on my return trip to see a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglet's emerge while foraging amidst the dense, dead foliage still clinging to an oak tree to the side of the path, felled by the derecho this summer. Somewhat similar to Doug's experience, one of them approached so closely that I could almost reach out for it. I didn't have my camera with me, so I simply enjoyed a close encounter of the kinglet kind ;-). A fine cap to a beautiful second summer afternoon.

Kai Weatherman

Iowa City