Date: 11/5/20 1:47 pm
From: Bryan Pfeiffer <bryan...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Snowy Owls and Snow Geese
Teage is absolutely right. Waiting for geese, besides its virtues in slowing down while birding (and in life), offers immeasurable rewards. A Snow Goose liftoff, especially when they come from “nowhere,” is among the most rewarding events in all North American birdwatching. Sometimes, all it takes is an eagle overhead to launch the flock.

I think I once compared a Snow Goose launch to Roger Daltrey and the best rock-and-roll scream in the history of Western Civilization (https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=ekQtShe8954). Or for the classical music birders, maybe it’s like Beethoven’s Emperor Piano Concerto (once it gets rolling a few minutes in). But I suspect there might be some better classical music analogy for a Snow Goose launch?

(Oh, by the way, for those who don’t know it, I highly recommend Teage’s podcast, "The Single Acorn,” and his various other wild resources.)

—Bryan

> 0
> Older »
> Subject: Snowy Owls and Snow Geese
> Date: Thu Nov 5 2020 15:21 pm
> From: badger.meli AT gmail.com
>
> I was out at Dead Creek at the viewing area on 17W for about an hour on
>
> Tuesday morning and, as Bryan said, the geese were obscured by the
>

> vegetation to the south. Over the hour, they took off and flew in a big
>

> loop 4 times. So with a little patience you'll be rewarded.
>

> Teage O'Connor
>

> CrowsPath.org
>

> *Wild Burlington natural history newsletter*
>

> -
> https://crowspath.org/newslett...
>
> *The Single Acorn Podcast*
>

> -