Date: 11/4/20 5:12 am
From: C Wood via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Unusual kinglet bahavior
While certainly weather conditions would influence feeding behavior, I observed 8 - 10 ground feeding Golden-crowned Kinglets at the Lighthouse Point Hawk Watch site on 10/26 when conditions were relative mild and not windy. As others have noted, these birds were obviously tired and hungry and unconcerned about close observers. That same day we noticed swarms of what appeared to be a hatch of a small fly species, perhaps the GCKI were capitalizing on that. In any event Cornell’s Birds of the World notes that GCKI “may” feed on the ground and eat mainly arthropods. Some photos of ground feeding GCKIs here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/e08413 <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/e08413>

Chris Wood
Woodbury, CT
203 558-0654

Flickr: C.S.Wood-Photos <https://www.flickr.com/gp/cswood-photos/3514fW>