Date: 11/3/20 8:01 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - November 3
It was mostly clear, starting off cold then turning warm, with a little wind
on the bird survey today. 83 species were found. Highlight of the day was
an Eastern Bewick's Wren. This subspecies is nearly extinct with a few
hanging on in the Ozarks. Purple Finches seemed to be everywhere today and
there was even a few Pine Siskins. Both these species were seen feeding on
Giant Ragweed seeds together. Also of interest today was a Fox Sparrow of
one of the western races. It had a solid dark gray back with a red tail and
I think there was some red in the wings too. The two nestling Neotropic
Cormorants are getting big and our starting to flap there wings. They will
be fledging soon. Here is my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 33

Wood Duck - 23

Gadwall - 140

American Wigeon - 14

Mallard - 85

Northern Shoveler - 25

Northern Pintail - 403

Green-winged Teal - 33

Ring-necked Duck - 631

Hooded Merganser - 2

Ruddy Duck - 7

Pied-billed Grebe - 37

American White Pelican - 20

Neotropic Cormorant - 4 (also one nest with 2 older young.)

Double-crested Cormorant - 35

Great-blue Heron - 4

Great Egret - 17

Little-blue Heron - 8

Cattle Egret - 26

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 1 juvenile

White Ibis - 51 (all juveniles)

Plegadis species - 1

Black Vulture - 13

Turkey Vulture - 28

Northern Harrier - 5

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1

Cooper's Hawk - 1

Red-shouldered Hawk - 2

Red-tailed Hawk - 1

Merlin - 1

King Rail - 2

Virginia Rail - 3

Common Gallinule - 9

American Coot - 512

Killdeer - 6

Greater Yellowlegs - 3

Wilson's Snipe - 1

Mourning Dove - 2

Barred Owl - 1

Belted Kingfisher - 3

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 7

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1

Downy Woodpecker - 3

Hairy Woodpecker - 4

Northern Flicker - 26

Pileated Woodpecker - 2

Eastern Phoebe - 15

Blue Jay - 11

American Crow - 57

Fish Crow - 9

Carolina Chickadee - 5

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren - 5

Bewick's Wren (Eastern race) - 1

House Wren - 2

Winter Wren - 1

Sedge Wren - 4

Marsh Wren - 4

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 5

Eastern Bluebird - 11

American Robin - 46

Gray Catbird - 1

Northern Mockingbird - 2

Brown Thrasher - 7

Cedar Waxwing - 6

Yellow-rumped Warbler - 42

Common Yellowthroat - 2

Eastern Towhee - 4

Field Sparrow - 5

Savannah Sparrow - 1

Fox Sparrow - 6 (including one western race.)

Song Sparrow - 16

Lincoln's Sparrow - 1

Swamp Sparrow - 22

White-throated Sparrow - 9