Date: 11/3/20 7:32 pm
From: Karen Garrett <kjgarrett84...>
Subject: Good day birding in Benton County, even a FOC I think.
FOC = first of century Northern Pintail, I think.I met Jacque Brown at the
fish hatchery in Centerton to see if my life American Bittern was still
around. We did not see it, but two Sora continue. We picked up a plover
trifecta; Black-bellied, American Golden, and Killdeer. Also several other
waders/pipers, Coots, Shovelers, Ruddy Ducks, Gadwall, and a Pintail.

The highlight for me,however, was coming upon a large mixed flock (200ish)
of various native sparrows, and a bunch of finches. Of the finches, most
were Goldfinches, with at least one Pine Siskin, and two House Finches. The
WC Sparrows and the Goldfinches were quite vocal. After about 15 minutes,
they were gone. I did find a flock of maybe 40 AMGO about a half mile
east. I was unaware that the Goldfinches would get
gather in such a large flock with Sparrows. A stunning Harris Sparrow
tried to get in my car, of his own volition, but once he realized the error
of his way, he sat on a perch about 16 feet away and gave me a great photo
session. Just east was a pond conta8several ducks and a female Hooded
Merganser.

Great day of birding!
Karen Garrett

or click the following link: