Date: 11/3/20 11:34 am
From: Jack Swatt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Unusual Kinglet behavior
After going to vote today, I went to Scoville Reservoir in Wolcott for a
hike. Just out of the parking lot I encountered a small flock of about 6
Golden-crowned Kinglets foraging on the gravel pathway. Some of them would
wait until I was about to trip on them before they flew further up the
pathway. Usually I only hear them or have to strain my neck searching for
them way up in the pines there. I have occasionally seen them foraging in
lower branches, but never feeding on the ground. I'm not sure if they were
gravelling, or just feeding on some small insect too microscopic for my
presbiotic eyes to see. I did encounter it again later on my hike with
smaller numbers of kinglets and a group of 5 chickadees as well (but I
wouldn't think it would be unusual for chickadees).

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75778468

Jack Swatt

Lempster, NH

Wolcott, CT