Date: 11/3/20 6:26 am
From: 'Jim Nelson' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Evening Grosbeaks Bethesda Backyard, Mont. Co. this morning
Seeing all the recent reports, I've been joking with birding friends about waiting for Evening Grosbeaks to show up in our small suburban backyard in Bethesda, Montgomery County, in the DC suburbs.
Each morning I either sit on the deck or at our dining room window to watch birds in the yard as I eat breakfast.
This morning at about 7:35 I was about to sit down at the window with my first bowl of cereal when I Iooked out and saw a flock of Evening Grosbeaks coming to the feeders!  I called my wife to see them, and we enjoyed less than 5 minutes of frenzied back and forth flights to the feeders and frenzied picture taking by me.  Then they were gone as fast as they had arrived. There were at least 13 birds, mostly adult males. What a show!
In over 30 years of observing birds at our house here, we have had Evening Grosbeaks only one other time, Christmas Day, December 25, 1989, back at a time when winter Evening Grosbeaks in Maryland were not unusual.
What a great morning!
Jim NelsonBethesda, MD