Date: 11/2/20 3:04 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Local RBA Multnomah County
Hello birders - Philip Kline and I met at Larch Mountain this morning for a
stunning two hours of birding. The weather was warm, the sun was out, and
the wind was subdued.

As I was walking to the top, called Sherrard Point, I heard several
MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES vocalizing in the firs above. They were mixed in with
Brown Creepers, Red-breasted Nuthatches, and Golden-crowned Kinglets. I
estimate there were 5-8 separate individuals, which is quite a healthy
total for Multnomah County.

Once at the top, the flocks slowly drifted off and the bird activity died
down. We saw a few roaming bands of PINE SISKINS and EVENING GROSBEAKS, but
the majority of the time was spent in slow silence.

After a while, I started hearing what sounded like Red Crossbills, followed
immediately by House Sparrows. I knew something fishy was going on, and we
saw a group of six birds flying toward us. As they banked, we saw they were
actually GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES (which it turns out has a repertoire of
vocalizations I am not all too familiar with). Unfortunately, our detection
was brief, and we weren’t able to locate where the birds eventually landed.
There are not many records of GCRF in Multnomah County, and we were very
delighted to steal a glimpse of such locally rare birds.

Lastly, we had a far off perched bird and two quick flybys that were very
likely CASSIN’S FINCHES. As 10:30 am rolled around, bird activity really
started to drop off, and one was left with only a stunning view of the
Cascade Range, and little else in the way of motion to focus on.

Full checklist below: https://ebird.org/checklist/S75744982

Happy Fall birding!
-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

Join us on Facebook!