Date: 11/1/20 7:20 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: No sign of Camp Adair shrike, but now 3 Trumpeter Swans in neighborhood
Nearly all animal prey eaten by Wild Turkeys are invertebrates. There may be some small lizards and salamanders but even these are unusual. I’ve never seen any evidence of small mammals being eaten by turkeys. The largest invertebrate prey I’ve heard of are crabs being taken by turkeys introduced into Hawaii.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 6:09 PM, Joel Geier <clearwater...> wrote:
>

> Darrel & all,
>
> When Oregon's Department of Fish & Wildlife (ODFW) was working on introducing turkeys as a "huntable" species, some biologists raised concerns about the possibility that they might prey on small vertebrates, particularly lizards, salamanders, and other herps. ODFW produced a compilation of results of crop-content studies from other states to address those concerns. The results showed only fairly minor indications of turkeys eating vertebrates.
>
> An important caveat, in my view, is that those studies were mainly based on turkey crops provided by hunters, and mainly from fall hunting seasons when turkeys tend to gorge on acorns, with much more limited data from other seasons. For the relatively small subset of spring studies, it was unclear whether the methods used would have been likely to detect bits of eggshells or young nestlings from ground-nesting songbirds, which is a concern that some of us have raised more recently. Also, most of the data were from eastern woodland subspecies, rather than the Rio Grande subspecies that was found to be most successful for introductions in Oregon.
>
> However, it seems unlikely from those data that Wild Turkeys would be consuming many if any voles, at least at this time of year. From my own observations of a group of turkeys that's been coming through our yard lately, they're foraging for much smaller items, mainly insects and other small invertebrates, seeds, and bits of plant material. When they got into our garden, they did a lot of damage to my last planting of sweet corn, but even more damage inadvertently just by scratching around in the dirt wherever I'd recently hoed weeds close to young carrots etc.
>
> Joel

Join us on Facebook!