Date: 11/1/20 6:36 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Evening Grosbeaks in Iowa
Good evening all,

Thanks to James Dinsmore for an excellent recap of recent viewings of Iowa
Evening Grosbeaks.
7 reported at Port Louisa NWR on Friday (Oct. 30th). I could not
resist and took off from West Des Moines arriving 5:15 PM where I joined 3
others but we did NOT see any of the birds despite staying until dark.
Being rather convinced that these birds are an "early to bed and early to
rise" species I took a hotel in Muscatine overnight so I could be there at
7:30PM. Despite persistence and being joined by 15 other birders, this
flock was not seen again. I returned to West Des Moines for the 16th BDay
for one of my grandsons. Another flock seen later in the day by Chuck F
and James H. at John Carter's home just northwest of Burlington. Having
already planned to visit my son and family in Davenport, my wife and I
called John Carter to see if we could come visit him on the "roundabout"
route to Davenport. We arrived and were able to see one male there today
about 1:45PM (after a very short10 minute wait). Something flushed all
the birds and we did not see it again during the next hour. Thanks to John
Carter's welcome in his home today I was blessed to add #375 for Iowa--one
reasonable photo in the shade of a feeder. It was seen again by another
couple later in the afternoon. Bob (Grinnel) reported one at a feeder
there. Wisconsin and states south and east over to the Atlantic coast
have reported some as well. Keep an eye out, I am convinced there will be
more sightings of this very cool bird.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*