Date: 11/1/20 3:03 pm
From: Patrick O'Driscoll <patodrisk...>
Subject: [cobirds] Interesting geese at Denver City Park (Denver Co.)
The winter return of Cackling and Canada Geese has begun at Denver City
Park. At mid-morning Sunday, about 1,000 total (two-thirds Cackling)
gathered on the waters of Ferril and Duck lakes. Joining the ones at Ferril
Lake were two separate Snow Geese (one blue morph) and a couple of
interesting birds that, on first glance, appeared to be leucistic Cackling
and/or Canada.

After looking at my pictures, I'm thinking perhaps they are Snow Goose
hybrids.
Both had hints of grin patches. One had a dark head and neck speckled and
streaked in white.
[image: image.png]

The head of the other hinted at the back-and-white face pattern of Canada
or Cackling, also with streaky neck.
[image: image.png]

Both were the size of a Snow or a little smaller, hinting perhaps at
Cackling-X-Snow. They were among mostly Cackling Geese, too.
Lastly, the two were hanging close to that blue-morph Snow Goose. (You can
see its butt in the second photo, above.) Birds of a feather, perhaps?

Other signs of winter: about 80 Northern Shovelers scrumming at Ferril
Lake, and a male Bufflehead and five Hooded Mergansers diving at Duck Lake
(where three Wood Ducks, two males and a female, cruised the backside near
the zoo).

Good birding,

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver