Date: 11/1/20 4:07 am
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: owl month
Hi Darrel,

That's an impressive chorus of owls to hear regularly. At our place on the interior edge of the Coast Range, we now rarely hear either the three small-owl species that you mention (Pygmy, Saw-whet, and Screech), nor Barn Owls, as Great Horned and Barred have become a more constant presence.

I did hear a Long-eared calling far out on E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area, one night in late October. They're also rare here but perhaps less rare than in the heart of the Coast Range. Like you we've only heard them four or five times, but our span of years here is, I believe, only about 1/3 as long as your period of observations at Thornton Creek (coming up on half a century soon?).

I was struck by the absence of one species from your list of local owls. How many years has it been since you would have included Spotted Owl on that list?

Joel

On 31 Oct 2020 Darrel Faxon wrote:

October. In the past October has proved to be a great month for hearing owls, and his year was no exception. Here at Thornton Creek (Lincoln) I have been hearing Northern Pygmy almost every morning, Northern Saw-whet nearly every night, Barred with some regularity, and Western Screech on occasion. Last night 's the resonant bass hoots from a Great Horned completed the sweep of vocalizations from all the local species. The only one missing was Long-eared, which is very rare here at any season. I have heard them here in October, but maybe only four or five times. If this location is at all typical, there must be a lot of owls in the Coast Range.
Darrel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis