Date: 11/1/20 12:22 am
From: Derek Hudgins <derekhudgins...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: RFI -- Ocean City CORE and WEKI
I tried for and struck out on both birds Halloween afternoon, but here is
what information I was able to garner.

The Common Redpoll was only seen first thing in the morning Saturday, and
that seems to be the best time. Walk to the northwest corner of the park
where there’s an overlook of the bay. The bird has been seen in the bare
branches at the top of the bush immediately to the north, as well as
throughout the bush line leading away and north from the park and along the
double fenceline. It apparently will feed with the sparrows occasionally,
so make sure to check the ground as well. I parked on Philadelphia Ave just
south of the park entrance, and north of the hotspot pin. I don’t think you
have to pay to park there.

The Western Kingbird was initially seen from Antique Rd. near the corner
with Sinepuxent Rd. There is a shoulder just south of this intersection
that can fit three or four cars, and it provides a good vantage point to
scan the triangular field bordered by those two roads and Stephen Decatur
Highway. If I’m remembering correctly, it was last seen flying north from
the treeline by the house next to Captain Stedy’s Seafood Market on the
highway. There is a shoulder there, but it’s far busier than Antique Rd.
and technically a bike lane. Before we called it quits, we expanded the
search to the farm with numerous horses further north on Sinepuxent Rd.
(which had a Cattle Egret) and the fenceline of the airport without
success. Good luck if you go, and if you find a yellow kingbird make sure
you eliminate Tropical in case that bird is still lingering in the area.

Good birding,
Derek Hudgins
Cockeysville