Date: 10/31/20 5:43 am
From: ljeannebowmans via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Unusual number of finches
Good Morning All,   In north Baltimore County, we have an invasion of a Mint plant, Perillo Frutescens.  The finches seem to love picking the seeds off the many flowering leaves of this plant, and it is right attractive.  Yesterday there were something over 50 Gold finches having a party around one patch of the man,many plants.  The plants die back each year, but seem to bear the winter and shot up in late spring.  Good Birding to ALL.  Jeanne Bowman Freeland, MD      In a message dated 10/31/2020 6:42:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, <birdmanjfw...> writes:

Let's hear it for large numbers of Pine Siskins.  When they first arrived, I was putting out a bit of shelled sunflowers.  That appeared to draw in the Siskins to the point where I had 72 about 10 days ago.   And then the rain came 5 days and the numbers soared.  The little buggers flit in and out continuously but I got a count of about 250.  That number, and probably more, drained a bag of 25 pounds of shelled sunflowers.  I honestly don't know how they can eat so much.   They must be related to Evening Grosbeaks. I counted 10 Purple Finches and who knows how many Red-breasted Nuthatches, but at least four. Time to start a GoFundMe page for seed.  Jim WilsonQueenstown
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<f90860d5-b03d-4a0a-8f24-b5af91545bdfo...>