Date: 10/31/20 5:02 am
From: Dan&Nan <dan-nan-semper...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Unusual number of finches
Well, I'm feeding them, but not sure I'm all that enthusiastic yet. (Tho I tried to see if they'd eat from my hand yesterday -- I think I need more patience, to stand still longer). I'm running out early this morning to get MORE sunflower seed (the shells kill the stuff that passes for a yard at my house, so I can't use the UNshelled kind). And possibly an extra birdfeeder the bigger birds can manage (with the hummers gone, I have an extra hook for a feeder).

And thanks to the advice from this group, I'm going to get a couple of bags of shelled peanuts to see if they give my poor lonely blue jay a fighting chance. (A few years ago, until I learned they migrate, I thought our very sensible blue jays somehow lost braincells every fall, since they suddenly had problems landing on our birdfeeders. And when it snowed I had to put seed on the ground in pie plates for them so they wouldn't be hungry 😢. Happily, after a few years they mostly learned to land on birdfeeders.)

Thanks to all of you for your amazing help. Googling had been getting me absolutely NOWHERE and the clouds of finches had me flummoxed.

Happy Halloween all,
Nancy