Date: 10/30/20 7:06 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: More on local Gull hybrids
All - I can attest to a bit of what Lars’s is speaking of.
This past week, I’ve noticed an increase in gulls that appear to be
putative Cook Inlet Gulls in Portland. This is predominately on the
Willamette River, from the University of Portland to the Metro Central
Hazardous Waste. Even more so, I’ve noticed several 10’s of GWGU types,
with primary tips that are slightly too dark. These individuals look like
typical GWGU, with more slender bills than on WEGU and most Olympic Gulls,
but uniformly have primary tips that are darker than the mantles. I’ve been
puzzled as what to call them, and have vacillated from either backcross
with Western Gull/Herring Gull, GWGU breeding with Olympic Gulls, to just
regular GWGU that are all from a distinct breeding population. Gotta love
the gulls!

See included eBird checklist for images of some of the aforementioned
species/hybrids.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75620183

Good gulling,
-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)