Date: 10/30/20 6:54 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (30 Oct 2020) 52 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 30, 2020

Black Vulture 0 70 201
Turkey Vulture 2 264 588
Osprey 0 30 191
Bald Eagle 6 99 348
Northern Harrier 0 42 57
Sharp-shinned Hawk 6 1827 2250
Cooper's Hawk 2 146 216
Northern Goshawk 0 3 5
Red-shouldered Hawk 5 41 62
Broad-winged Hawk 0 22 3856
Red-tailed Hawk 25 349 632
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 1 5 5
American Kestrel 0 88 171
Merlin 1 55 67
Peregrine Falcon 0 32 48
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 4 63 173

Total: 52 3136 8870

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 5.25 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Ed Wanamaker

Visitors:
What can I say. It was the North lookout, it was a cold and windy weekday,
it is the day before Halloween. Not scary at all, just me and Ed.

Weather:
Cloudy with brisk NW winds 6-11 mph at 1100 EST when the count began after
a morning rain. Low temperature of 39F was recorded at the start of the
count, with a high temperature of 41F at 1400 EST. Winds decreased to 3-5
mph later in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Some nice looks at 2 adult red shouldered hawks early in the count, seen
relatively low as they rose up over the hump and then high over the North
lookout. A good number of eagles early in the afternoon in a short period
of time, but the flight decreased by 1400 EST to a slow stream of high
red-tailed hawks.

Bald Eagles (6): 1130 adult, 1131 adult, 1145 immature, 1233 adult, 1337
adult, 1410 adult

Golden Eagle: 1244 adult

Non-raptor Observations:
14 loons, 114 Canada geese

Predictions:
Sunny with a high of 46F. Southeast winds are predicted, light and
variable at 1-3 mph.
Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!