Date: 10/30/20 6:08 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Thayer's or Herring Gull?
There were 5 similar gulls at the ends of the Hawthorne  bridge last night. Two had clean white heads and l consider them Western, if not pure. Three had a bit of the grunge like Sandy's Gull. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> Date: 10/30/20 2:32 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <sandyleapt...> Cc: obol <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Thayer's or Herring Gull? Sandy - note the really thick based bill? This is indicative of Western Gull heritage, and this bird is an Olympic Gull. The darker mantle and the primaries that are almost black (but not quite) are two other IDs. Olympic Gulls can have outer primary patterns that mimic Thayer’s Gulls.Good gulling,-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM sandy leaptrott <sandyleapt...> wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like some help identifying a gull.  Below is a link to the photos.

Two days ago I was watching this gull and some American Crows feasting on a dead salmon along the banks of the Sandy River.  I took a lot of photos from quite a ways away.  I spent yesterday with books and pictures on the internet and finally decided to list it on ebird as a Thayer's Gull.
Now I'm having second thoughts, mostly because of the head and beak shape.  I can almost see this bird frowning.

I would appreciate it some of you would look at the photos and let me know what you think.  I just don't have much opportunity to study gulls, I'm hoping the ID is obvious to someone who spends time with gulls.  I don't want to muddy eBird data with a misidentified bird.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75534491

Thanks for any help,

Sandy Leaptrott

NE Portland